USERRA

Veterans and Reserve Component service members comprise a significant portion of our workforce today. With the recent high deployment tempo that our country has seen over the past decade, with wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan, the toll has been felt not only by the service members but by many civilian employers as well.

Military service can be challenging at times for all parties involved, for those of you who have current reserve component service members on your team, knowing your roles, rights and responsibilities to your service member employees is as important as them knowing their rights and responsibilities to you under USERRA.

Aside from remaining compliant with USERRA for compliance sakes, I encourage employers to be more proactive in understanding the how their employees military service can benefit their organizations. There is an abundant amount of transferable job skills from the many occupational specialties that our service branches train their members on, the military also provides invaluable leadership training, training that can also directly translate over to your organization. Learning how to maximize your civilian-soldiers potential can make for a very fruitful employment relationship in the long run. Organizations such as the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) are there to help employers better understand their employees military service. Take advantage of the many resources they have to offer.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to share some USERRA insights with fellow soldiers. You can check out the slideshow below:

• fenrysk
    17 June 2014 at 9:41 pm - Reply

what if we’re self employed? Half joking but half serious because I know there have been instances of people who run their own construction/craft subcontracting that lose out on so much business because of a deployment or for training. As my own boss, sure I do give me my own job back after a 2-3 week AT lol

• Ernie Tamayo, PHR
      18 June 2014 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Mike that’s actually a good question…unfortunately because self-employed individuals fall under the category of workers who can “realize a profit or loss,” USERRA would not apply to them. In those circumstances, service members should speak with their commands to see if some alternate arrangements can be made for training purposes and cite the fact of financial hardship as the reason for the request. Now, when it comes time for extended deployments…they may not have much of choice there. Thanks for the question!

• fenrysk
        21 June 2014 at 12:23 am - Reply

I think at least in the extended deployments the full active pay would make up for it (and all the other pay bonuses and allowances that come with orders exceeding 30, 60, 180 consecutive days, etc).

• fenrysk